Vacation Banking Tips
Summer is already here, which means you are probably ready for a vacation. Whether you prefer the beach to mountains, rivers to lakes, or just a nice long road trip to visit family, you want the best experience you can get. This means you should pay close attention to your bank account to keep it safe and secure. Don’t stress, Southern Bank can help you with that.
Here are some things to add to your to-do list before you head out:
- Contact us to let us know you will be traveling and how long your trip is going to last. Otherwise, debit card transactions may throw a red flag if they are out of the ordinary, leading to declined transactions and travel frustration. If traveling out of the country, your debit card WILL NOT work unless you call and share the countries you will be visiting.
- Your debit card automatically has a limit to how much you can spend each day. Give us a call at 855-452-7272 if you need to temporarily increase it.
- Make sure that we have your correct phone number and email address on file, just in case we need to contact you for any reason.
- Make sure you’re signed up with CardValet® so you can monitor your debit card transactions and automatically lock your card from the app if it is misplaced, lost, or stolen. It’s free and easy to use.
- Set up digital banking to review your account and have the ability to transfer money if needed. It's a great time to set up Bill Pay so that you won’t miss a payment while you are basking in the sun and relaxing--just one more thing Southern Bank can offer to give you peace of mind.
- If you have a credit card, notify your provider that you will be traveling. Again, it may throw a red flag if your transaction looks unusual.
Some other things to consider are:
- Stopping mail delivery while you’re away.
- Set up lights on timers to give the appearance that someone is home.
- Try to avoid posting on social media until you return. Letting people know you are out of town makes you a target for burglary.
Most importantly, know that Southern Bank gives you the tools to help keep your account and identity as safe as possible from fraudsters.
And if something happens, don’t worry. A Southern Bank team member can help you navigate through a stressful situation.